I am a Stroke Survivor

From Researchandideas
Jump to navigationJump to search

Speaker matching in progress...

Back in November of 2020.

I had a moderate case of the COVID.

I was in bed for a couple of weeks.

I lost about 25 pounds.

But I really didn't feel that Ill


Now I learned that there's something called long COVID For sure the long term effects of the illness.

On June 13 of this year.

I had just finished taking a shower, and I was walking back to the bedroom in my bathroom.

And I walked into the bedroom.

And all of a sudden I started feeling lightheaded.


I continued walking and everything seemed to happen. Like it was slow motion like when you're in a traffic accident or something like that happens,

I started to lose my peripheral vision.

It's like curtains were closing across my eyes coming in from both the right and the left, and I was focused, straight ahead with television.

At that point I felt my left leg start to give out from under me.

And I started to fall

and everything started to go black.

I blacked out.

I remember hitting some furniture in the bedroom on the way down, which is probably a good thing it broke my fall.

And the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor in the bedroom.

And I was unconscious for, I'm going to say about 10 or 15 minutes.

I woke up and I tried to get up and I was totally unable to make my arms or legs obey me.

I was laying on the floor, and I could not even sit up.

I was trying to sit up and stand up and get into my easy chair, and get to my phone so I could call for help.

But I was just laying on the floor.

Until my companion happened to come in from the living room, and she saw me there.

And she tried to help me get up.

But she wasn't strong enough.

At that point she got on the phone and called my best friend, Dave, who is a really big guy, and she told him what had happened, and he drove straight over.

Dave and Shayla cut me up in the chair, and then Dave called 911 and got an ambulance to come.

Dave is the first one to figure out that I had a stroke.

It turns out that Dave's father had a stroke, about 20 years ago, and Dave said he was never the same after that.

So Dave knew exactly what to look for.

Dave also knew that there is a golden hour for strokes.

A stroke is caused by a blood clot, which causes a blockage in a major artery, going to the brain. So your, the brain cells are not getting oxygen so they're not functioning and they're dying, eventually.

So what you have to do is break up that clot.

If they can get you to the hospital within one hour, then they can give you a drug called ATP, which is very strong, and that it can break the clot up and save your life.

If Shayla had not come along and found me. And I had been by myself here in the house, I probably would have died there on the floor.

Anyway, they got me to the hospital. And my memories are very fragmented at this point but I remember at one point, I was in a Zoom meeting with a neurologist because he had to prescribe this medication for me and he had to do a mental evaluation on me over zoom.

I think it was pretty obvious since I could not move my left arm or move my left leg that, that I was a stroke victim.

Processing conversation...

Rate transcript quality

June 18, 2021

just thought I would let everyone know that I am in Mercy Hospital, down in Oklahoma City,. I had a stroke. Last Monday. We called 911, and I went to the Ponca City Hospital. And then they airlifted me down to the stroke center at Mercy in Oklahoma City. I totally lost the use of my left leg and left arm. I literally could not move my arm or leg, could not even move my fingers. It was pretty scary to think I might be paralyzed. I spent three days in the ICU, and they determined that I had an afib (Atrial fibrillation) and a blood clot reducing flow to my brain so they put me on a blood thinner to break up the clot.

I am a lot better now. Lu.ckily there is no permanent damage. Right now I am in rehab. And they're teaching me how to walk again and to go up and down stairs and get in and out of a car. I'm feeling good at this point, and expect to be released in one or two more days. Which is good because I'm planning to drive out to Taos Next Tuesday or Wednesday with some friends to spend a week with my daughter and my grandson. Just thought I would put this out there so people would know. Thanks for all the calls and texts.

The only thing I really regret is that earlier this year I was honored to receive an invitation to attend Inlonska in Hominy, which starts tonight and now I won't be able to make it but I plan to go next year or perhaps attend Inlonska in Pawhuska later this summer.

June 21, 2021

I'm being released today. I completed my rehab and am back on my feet, walking on my own (without a walker) and headed for Ponca City. Thanks to the Doctors, nurses, and therapists at Mercy Hospital in OKC.

I will continue my therapy at home and will be seeing a cardiologist in Stillwater about my afib and an opthamologist about the impairment in my peripheral vision. Thanks everybody for all the messages, prayers, phone calls, texts, and emails. Thanks to Dave Guinn for this lovely t shirt.

I am a very lucky man to have survived his trial unimpaired,

I am blessed to have so many good friends who care about me